Monday, March 15, 2010

Russian messaging, and curiosities regarding parenthesis

I'm about to head to bed, but I thought I'd share this with you first. We already know that instant messaging is the lowest form of communication (right below pointing and grunting), but how does it change in Russia?

Anton Stepanov sent me this message, in english:

Hi!
If you have a vkontakte account you can visit this page:
http://vkontakte.ru/event1621409
and you'll find there exact information about this revel. There you can find mind account as well.

Notice, if you will, the lack of concern for word order. When speaking in Russian, this is perfectly normal. Also note the use of the word "revel" and the mis-spelling of "mine", which is in fact intended to mean "my."

I like it when Russians use words like "revel" and "festival" instead of "get-together" or "party." It seriously makes my day, and the first time that Kirill said "festival" instead of "holiday," I was completely giddy.

Next, this instant message excerpt, from Kira Slobodina:

тоже хорошо! выспалась сегодня, а теперь вот тоже дома сижу, надо сделать много по учебе :(
подруга звала вечером куда-то, но не думаю,что смогу, так как я и так вчера с вами пошла вместо того чтобы делать уроки))) хотя я не жалею,что сходила)
а почему не знаешь чем заняться? что сегодня делают твои друзья?)

Now, my only real point of curiosity here is the parenthesis. I understand the content, but the parenthesis which seem to occur very often when some Russians I know type just baffles me. Can anyone shed any light? You can run the message through a translator if you want, but I know some of those verbs have some differing meanings, so whatever you get will be an approximate at best.

Also, sorry about the messy font work, but blogger doesn't seem to care for what I tell it to do.

Okay goodnight!

Evan

2 comments:

  1. Russians use the parenthesis as we use :-)

    So, Russian smiley face = )
    American smiley face= :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! That's quite a mouthful! I translated it.
    How did the guitar playing go?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete