Let's see, what has this last week held for me? Mostly midterms. Somehow I have 7 tests in 5 classes over the course of 4 days, which is a little bit less than fun. It's still been alright though.
I had sushi for lunch today. I still haven't managed to figure out if it's cheaper here or more expensive. I think that it's kind of even really. A california roll in the US is usually about $5ish, right? Well, here they're more like $8.50. The thing is, all of the specialty rolls are too, and in the US they usually cost more like $12-$15. So yeah, it's more or less the same. They don't have winter rolls anyplace here though, which is too bad because I've been craving them.
I have lots of pictures! I just haven't uploaded them yet. Maybe
tonight? I don't know. In any case, they will be findable on my facebook page one I do it. I do have a (not great) picture of my school though, so for those of you who were unaware, this is what it looks like.
That being said, what else have you missed? On friday I went to a british pub with some American students and a bunch of Russian students. We celebrated St. Patrick's day, only 2 days late. I talked to Anton Stepanov for like an hour and a half about music. An extremely drunk Russian student told me something about my area of town, but it wasn't terribly appropriate. I thought it was funny though, just because of the way he said it. I won't repeat it here though, as my mom would probably not approve of such foul language being typed by her own son's fingers.
Saturday we went to Pushkin, or Tsarskoe Celo. It's a пригород (prigorod) of Petersburg, which is kind of like a suburb. I saw a palace. Admittedly, I've been inside a lot of palaces recently.
Sunday I met up with Russian students who have been learning advanced english under the tutelage of one Brenna Garth. They were okay I guess. Not my favorite crowd, not that interesting to me. Anyways, we went to Dostoevsky's house and Anna Akhmatova's house. Neither of them are living there or anywhere anymore. Since getting home from that little excursion, I've basically been studying nonstop.
Also, eating yet more Kinder eggs. Man, I love the Kinder. I found them (across the street from my apartment!) for only 26 rubles (88 cents), which is the best price I've seen so far. Go Diksy, with your good Kinder prices, and your 19 ruble (64 cent) Baltika 3, which I plan to bring home for dad. I don't know how I'd get it to you Allie, but if you want, I can most likely smuggle you back a Redd's. You told me you like that. Anyone else need anything snuck to the US? I'm already supposed to bring my host mother back a man from Israel (specifically, one with a beard. I don't know why?). My international business career has begun.
Also, seeing as it's nearing April, I'm starting to try to think of gifts for everyone back home! ('Everyone' currently includes my mom, dad, Lisa, Annie, Heider (if he's going to be in MN), Gunter (if he gives me his mailing address), and the next-year roommates). If you didn't make that list, you'll still probably at least get a Kinder Surprise. Coolio?
Anyways, I guess I'll ramble some more on the 4th. Bye!
Evan
The picture isn't great. I'll get a better one when I can get to a better angle (thanks a lot, road construction) and there's less snow on the ground.
ReplyDelete